Blog-8

June 20, 2011

Chapter 18 of “Don Quixote” by Cervantes is full of exciting and important things.  This chapter is extremely humorous.  The chapter moves very quickly because most of it is dialogue.  The time seems to speed up becasue there is very little interruption from the narrator.  When there is dialogue happening the reader is experiencing what is happening in real time.  In narration it usually takes the reader long to read what’s happening, than it takes the characters to do.  “With this he rode into the army […]”  (Cervantes, 142)  When narrator takes over, time seems to be moving faster becuase there is more action.  During diallogue there isn’t must action happening.  When I was reading this chapter I felt as if I was reading a play.  Plays usually move pretty quickly and that’s why I felt this way.  With all of th e dialogue that was occuring in this chapter I was also reminded of a play.

Work Citied

De Cervantes, Miguel. Don Quixote of La Mancha. New York: Signet Classic, 1964. Print