Blog-4

June 14, 2011

“Be careful!”, screamed Momma Rob as we walked out the door.  He had the keys in his hand and we were ready to go.  It was rare that his mother let us use her car.  See, she had no problem with it.  Personally I think she liked it when Rob used her car.  Late at night or what seemed like the middle of the night his sister would always need a ride home from somewhere.  She loved staying out late with friends, which meant Momma Rob would have to stay up late just to pick her up from whatever party she was at.  Having the car meant Momma Rob was able to call it an early night knowing we would bring her home safely.  It was Poppa Rob who had a problem.  I could hear his voice echoing in my head, “He’s not insured to drive that car, God only knows what’s going to happen.”  See Poppa Rob has the bedtime of a seven yea old, and once he’s out, he’s done for the night.  What goes on between eight in the evening and seven in the morning he shall never know.

As we walked to the car, we decided what resteraunt we were going to go to.  About a  ten minute drive from his house and we would be there.  We got into the car, I was sitting in the passenger seat as my boyfriend drove the car.  We hoped on the highway and were smooth sailing to my favorite place to eat.  We were stuck in the slow lane, all the way to the right and couldn’t get over.  Every car was driving side by side.  My boyfriend kept checking his mirrors hoping he would be able to squeeze into the next lane.  Out of no where a tiny black car is speeding up and dipping in and out of lanes.  Peering my head back I watched him go from the far left lane into the middle lane and cut a guy off.  We were in the next lane right next to that guy.

“Shit!  What are you doing?  Why are you driviIng away?”  I screamed.  The car was moving fowards.  “Pull over!”  I look over my boyfriend was shaking and sweating, I could see the look of fear in his eyes.  My heart was pounding so fast, I don’t even know if I was screaming. 

After a moment he spoke.  “Theydidn’t hit us.  He just missed us, crazy.”  I watched the little black car go from the far right, into the middle lane, cutting my neighbor off.  The black car had no room, just fit and was speeding.  At the last minute he slammed on his breaks.  A four car pile up right next to me.  The noise of all cars smacking into eachother was intense.  So powerful I thought we defintly were involved.  It couldn’t have been more than  a foot or two that seperated our car.  Our neighbor driving in the middle lane car got destroyed.  I saw the whole car get compacted inbetween the little black car and the car behind him.  It was no more than a flash before my eyes.  We were slowly driving away. 

“If anything happens to my car, divorce.  Your father will kill me.” said Momma Rob many times as we were walking out the door.  I thought it was over.  It’s just a car, it can be fixed, however this time Poppa Rob would have found out what happens when he shuts his eyes at night.  We drive slow, careful, in the end there will always be that little black car who destroys everything.